Close Menu
Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP - Attorneys at Law
  • Confidential Consultations
  • Hablamos Español

Modifying Child Support in California

Modifying Child Support in CaliforniaFamily law courts in the State of California utilize the formula provided in the Child Support Guideline to determine how much child support must be paid in a case. The formula uses the parents’ wages, withholdings, monetary deductions, and the time each parent spends with the child to determine the amount of support payments. Whenever new circumstances change the original calculations, the party making the payments has a legal right to petition for a modification to the support agreement. If you are seeking to modify your child support agreement, you should know that obtaining the support of a well-versed family law attorney may improve your chances of a favorable outcome. Southern California’s family law attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP can advocate on your behalf.

Conveniently located in Southern California, Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP is a law firm that has many years of dedicated experience providing proficient legal counsel to those seeking to modify existing child support orders or agreements. Whether you are arranging an initial order or you are seeking to modify an existing arrangement, obtain the support of an attorney you can depend on. Consider obtaining the qualified support of Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP today.

Qualifying Reasons to Modify an Existing Agreement

There are many circumstances that can happen in a person’s life that could lead to a change in the child support agreement. However, it is important to understand that a modification cannot happen simply because there is a disagreement with the initial child support order.

A petition for a child support modification can be requested as a result of the following circumstances: Active military service deployment, A decrease in wages, A loss of employment, A change in the custody agreement or child visitation, A change in the size of the family, and/or Imprisonment.

Steps to Take When Seeking a Modification

A petition for a child support modification can be made to the court or a request could be made so that a local child support agency reviews the existing agreement, depending on who handles your child support case. When filing a petition for a modification, it is important to provide documentation proving the change in circumstances. This may include the following: The changes in custody or visitation order, Proof of change in income, Proof of unemployment, Incarceration status, Medical insurance costs, or Medical evaluation or proof of disability.

When the parents are not able to reach a mutual agreement on the proposed modifications, the parents will need to go to a court hearing and present their evidence. Based on their arguments and evidence, the judge will render a new court order.

Work with a Well-Established Attorney

Many circumstances in a person’s life could change his or her ability to continue making the child support payments ordered by a court. The State of California understands this and in order to accommodate for such changes, the law allows for child support modifications. If you are facing a modification in an existing order, it is highly recommended that you seek the support of an experienced family law attorney.

The attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP are highly versed in a wide range of family law matters, including child modification orders. If you are considering filing a petition for a child support modification, you are invited to contact the attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP for qualified legal counsel. You can schedule a complimentary consultation with the law firm by completing the online contact form here.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Stephen Levine, is a Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Defense — an honor achieved by only the top criminal law attorneys in California. Mr. Levine has over 40 years of experience in criminal defense and family law serving Southern California, and is a highly regarded Super Lawyer as well as AV Rated attorney.