Los Angeles DUI Defense Attorney
What do DUI charges mean for your future? The answer depends upon the evidence against you, your blood alcohol concentration at the time of your arrest, and your ability to mount a successful case to avoid conviction.
At Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox LLP, our experienced Los Angeles DUI defense lawyers will evaluate your case, explain your options, and work hard to help you find the best approach in avoiding a guilty verdict or minimizing penalties you could face.
DUI Defenses After a Los Angeles Arrest
An arrest for drunk driving could result in your license being suspended. You could also face other penalties including:
- Jail time
- Community service
- Drug and alcohol counseling
- The required installation of an ignition interlock device inside of your vehicle
Repeat offenders face harsher penalties than individuals who have no past history of convictions. If you cause a motor vehicle collision, injure someone, or kill someone while driving drunk, you can also expect to face much more serious consequences.
For any DUI offense, however, the prosecutor must prove to a jury that you committed all elements of the crime. This means showing that you had consumed drugs and/or alcohol; that you were impaired by the substances; and that you were operating your vehicle while under the influence.
A BAC of .08 or higher creates the presumption that you were too drunk to drive, but a BAC over the limit is neither necessary nor sufficient to ensure conviction. You can be convicted if your BAC is below .08 and you can be found innocent if your BAC is at or above this level, depending upon the circumstances.
How a DUI defense Attorney in Los Angeles Can Help
There are many different options for responding when accused of driving drunk. You could:
- Try to raise questions or doubts about whether your chemical test was performed correctly and whether the results were accurate. If you suggest the evidence may have been contaminated or breath test not properly performed, a prosecutor may not be able to show guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Try to suppress evidence. Evidence collected in an unjustified traffic stop or as part of a search without probable cause cannot be used to secure a DUI conviction.
- Argue that your BAC was under the limit when operating the car, even if you had a BAC of .08 or higher when tested (your BAC keeps going up after drinking ends).
A DUI defense attorney in Los Angeles will help you decide if these or other approaches to fighting DUI charges are best for you.
Getting Legal Help
Don’t try to cope with serious criminal charges without an advocate who understands the law. Contact a DUI defense attorney serving Los Angeles today. Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox LLP is here and ready to help you.