Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in California
It is no surprise to learn that when a motorcycle accident happens, the consequences are usually dire and at times, fatal. Overall, motorcyclists have very little to no physical protection and when they are struck by a bigger motor vehicle, riders can endure life-threatening injuries. Despite knowing the dangers and risk of serious injury, many California drivers fail to provide riders with sufficient space when sharing the road. If you or someone you love was recently injured in a motorcycle accident, do not delay – contact an established motorcycle accident attorney who can represent your rights. Southern California’s premier personal injury attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP can help.
For many years, Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP have represented countless motorcycle accident victims, helping them secure the financial compensation they were entitled to. The law firm is proud to represent injured clients in the counties of Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, and San Bernardino. After a serious motorcycle accident injury, take immediate action to protect your rights – consider contacting the proficient attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents and Their Causes
When a motorcycle accident happens, there are unique events that may have contributed to causing the accident. With that said, many accidents share certain factors. For instance, while every car accident is different, there are many accidents that will be caused by driver distraction.
Here are some of the most common factors that typically lead to motorcycle accidents:
- Lane Splitting – Lane splitting is legal in the State of California. This happens when a motorcyclist rides between two rows of moving or stopped vehicles. The rider is essentially sharing a lane with other vehicles when lane splitting.
When done prudently, lane-splitting can be considered safe. Unfortunately, it is impossible to control or even predict the actions of other drivers when lane-splitting. For this reason, lane-splitting leads to many motorcycle accidents caused by:
- Drivers who change lanes without warning,
- Drivers who fail to check for oncoming riders before changing lanes, and
- Drivers who are distracted and unintentionally merge into another lane.
- Accidents Caused by Open Car Doors – Open door accidents are another type of motorcycle accident that happens regularly. These accidents happen when a person inside a parked vehicle opens his or her door without first checking for any oncoming traffic. When a door is suddenly opened in front of a motorcyclist, this can cause the rider to swerve into oncoming traffic. When the rider is unable to avoid the door, the collision with the opening can knock the rider off his or her motorcycle.
- Left-Turn Motorcycle Accidents – Generally speaking, motorcycles are far less visible than other types of vehicles on the road. For this reason, riders are at risk of being struck by other drivers when they are making a left turn, particularly in the following scenarios:
- The vehicle had made a left turn when a motorcyclist was approaching from the opposite direction in an intersection or driveway.
- The driver of a vehicle has made a left turn in front of a passing motorcyclist.
The risk of serious injury or death is even great in left-turn accidents involving high speeds.
Obtain Qualified Legal Representation Today
Every motorcycle accident is unique but a majority of them have common factors that played a significant role in their cause. If you or someone you love was recently injured in a motorcycle accident caused by another driver, take quick action and obtain the support of a qualified personal injury attorney.
The attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP are exceptionally qualified in motorcycle accident cases. The law firm understands that motorcycle accident cases are generally complex and will often require in-depth analysis and investigation. With many years of dedicated legal experience, the attorneys at Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP are prepared to handle the most challenging case. Consider contacting the firm today to get started on your case. Obtain a free consultation by completing the online contact form here.
Stephen Levine, is a Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Defense — an honor achieved by only the top criminal law attorneys in California. Mr. Levine has over 40 years of experience in criminal defense and family law serving Southern California, and is a highly regarded Super Lawyer as well as AV Rated attorney.