Family Law Attorney San Bernardino Child Custody Evaluations
Whenever possible, parents should work together to agree on how to share custody and parenting duties when raising kids in different households. Sometimes, this can’t happen. When it doesn’t, a custody evaluation may be ordered by the judge. If you find yourself in this situation, you need a San Bernardino family law attorney.
At Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox LLP we represent clients involved in custody negotiations and court proceedings to determine custody. We fight hard because we know how important your relationship with your children is. Call now so we can prepare you for your custody evaluation. We can provide answers to key questions you have including:
- What is a child custody evaluation?
- How can I have a successful child custody evaluation?
- How can a San Bernardino family law attorney help with custody issues?
What is a Child Custody Evaluation?
A custody evaluation is a process in which a mental health professional evaluates you, your children, and the other parent in order to make a custody and visitation recommendation to the court. The evaluator is assigned by the court or chosen from a list of qualified professionals. They will take steps to determine what is best for the child including:
- Interviewing parents
- Interviewing children
- Observing parent interactions with children
- Psychological testing
- Reviewing court papers
- Interviewing teachers, doctors, and others involved in a child’s life.
The quality of the parenting relationship, each parent’s skill in childcare, and the psychological health of parents and children will also be considered when a custody evaluator makes a decision.
How Can I Have a Successful Child Custody Evaluation?
The outcome of your evaluation can determine what happens to your children. To make sure your evaluation goes well:
- Treat the evaluation like a job interview. Come on time, dress neatly, and answer questions honestly while showing off your best qualities.
- Get your documents together. Come prepared with evidence of any claims you want to make about your parenting skills or the other parent’s skills
- Make a list of concerns. This list will help you stay focused and make sure your concerns are addressed.
- Communicate your knowledge of your kids. Be prepared to answer questions that show you know about their school life and the activities they enjoy.
- Be positive. Don’t badmouth your ex.
You should talk with a family law attorney before your interview so you can go over some of the questions that are likely to be asked. Doing this can help you make informed choices about what issues to raise and what not to say when you are being evaluated.
Your lawyer can follow up on the evaluation to help you find out what the status of your case is. Your lawyer can help you proceed quickly and effectively through your custody battle.
How Can a San Bernardino Lawyer Help?
At Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox LLP we work hard to try to help you avoid a custody evaluation by effectively negotiating a parenting plan with your ex. When this isn’t possible, we are ready to help you prepare for your evaluation so you can show the evaluator why your kids belong with you.
Don’t go unprepared to an evaluation that may shape your relationship with your kids for years to come. Call 909-798-3300 or contact us online now so we can get you ready to show why your preferred custody arrangement is best for your family.